Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Location, location, location!

Last post 06-26-2007, 11:11 PM by Records For Living Support. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-18-2007, 12:23 PM 754

Location, location, location!

Location is very important in determining real estate values; however, I'm having a problem in determining the use of the "location name" field in the providers screens. I can't find a reference to the fields in the Help files. It seemed to me that it was redundant when under the Medical Info section, there was a organization field.

I hate to show my stupidity, but I think I need a little guidance in how the designers of the app envisioned location name would be used. I'm probably missing a simple point, but I've overlooked the obvious before.

Thanks,
    Bill
  •  06-18-2007, 10:29 PM 756 in reply to 754

Re: Location, location, location!

Attachment: Locations.PNG
    Hi, Bill.

Please keep the questions coming!  If it's confusing, it's something we'd like to know about so that we can improve the usability and at a minimum improve our product documentation.

The location name is a free form text entry that is meant to help you label locations in a way that is helpful and meaningful to you.  In the example below, I have modified the Susan Marie sample to indicate that she has a primary and summer residences.  Certain reports - such as the one shown, which gives you Google Maps links to your providers - will also reuse the names.

It is not uncommon for contacts management systems to allow a label to be associated with specific addresses.  Perpahs part of what is confusing is that we allow for free form text, instead of providing a list of options?

Thanks,
    Support Team

•  06-19-2007, 1:35 AM 759 in reply to 754

Another use for this field is for companies that have more than one location in a city and they (or you) identify them by their street or area location - such as The Orange St Facility, or Brown Ave Facility.
    robert
  •  06-20-2007, 5:28 PM 760 in reply to 756

Thanks for the quick reply. The example you used for having more than one location to record is easily understood: however, the use of location name when used with providers (both organization and individual) was not as clear to me. As you know, the aim of relational databases is to keep data duplication/redundancy to a minimum. I entered a doctors's organization first, then I added the doctor under the individual provider selection and associated the doctor with the organization. The doctor's organization address, etc shows up under the Medical Info section of his record just as it should.

Now, if I enter Office in the location name and drop down the list, the address fields are displayed for me to add another address that I had already added when I entered the organization info. To me this is double data entry. I can see the usage when the doctor has multiple locations.

I'm probably assuming too much and would do better without reading something into the question.
  •  06-22-2007, 1:28 PM 765 in reply to 760

Bill,

LOL. There was similar discussion earlier this year. Try the Search on 'organization' and look for April 9, 2007 in particular.

robert
  •  06-26-2007, 11:11 PM 769 in reply to 765

Attachment: ProviderLocation.PNG
    William,

Thank you for the additional clarification.  The organization location information you speak of is accessible from the individual provider via a link (see the chain link icon circled in red in the picture below).

You are right that the information does not get copied into the individual provider's record.  Neither should you have to do the double entry, since you can always find the organization location by following the link (as shown below).

You can use the location information in the individual provider's record to track a location that is different from the organization location.  For instance, if your doctor has a private practice where you can go as part of a treatment, you could track that information in the individual provider's location.  You might want to label that something like "private office" or "private practice" to distinguish it from the organization's location.

I can see why you found that somewhat confusing, though I am not quite sure how to 'fix' it.  Maybe the development team might consider creating a read-only (grayed) location entry marked as something like "Organization provider's location" - bad name, I know, but you get the idea.

This way you could still add new locations for the individual provider that are not associated with the 'parent' organization.

Support Team

Robert,

Thank you for your suggestion that forum members use the search functionality.  I agree that it is very useful - I use it myself when making sure that I am not duplicating material already covered in the forum.

We've had so much great feedback from our users that it certainly has become a useful repository of suggestions, feature explanations, etc.

Thanks again!
    Support Team

View as RSS news feed in XML