Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Expense Reports

Last post 01-18-2007, 9:56 PM by Records For Living Support. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-15-2006, 12:09 AM 538

Expense Reports

I've looked at the expense and transaction reports and they look great and are very helpful. But, I am wondering if you can add to these reports two options:

1. Number of decimal places in the amount field
    2. A field to enter a multiplier

What I am thinking is that mileage and expenses to and from doctor's appointments are tax deductible. For those of us with chronic illnesses that require many appointments, the co-pays and mileage add up.

So, in a nutshell, what I am looking to do is to not only track the co-pays for doctor's visits and prescriptions, but to also track the round-trip mileage for each doctor's visit.  I have tried adding this mileage "type" to the reports with one decimal, but I get errors. Actually, sometimes it takes, and sometimes errors pop up and the program screeches to a halt. Anyway, to be able to add the mileage, and then at the end of the year put in the amount the IRS allows per mile and have the program automatically (by the push of a button) calculate the dollar amount for the mileage. For example:

Doctor A round-trip mileage on 01/26/2006        32.6

Doctor B round-trip mileage on 04/18/2006        14.3

Doctor A round-trip mileage on 05/26/2006        32.6

Doctor C round-trip mileage on 06/05/2006      190.8

Doctor A round-trip mileage on 09/23/2006        32.6

Doctor C round-trip mileage on 11/09/2006       190.8

2006 - Total Medical Miles                               493.7 miles

IRS allowed deduction per mile                          .14 (cents)

2006 Deduction                                           $68.60

In the above example, the yellow represents having an optional decimal place for 0, 1, or 2 decimals; the purple represents an addition calculation; and the orange represents a user amount input based on the annual IRS amount; and then the green is the result of the multiplication of the purple miles and the IRS allowed deduction per mile of 14 cents. Ultimately, in addition to the co-pays, it is the green that is needed for the deduction for income taxes.

Many thanks for your consideration of this suggestion!

Ok, I looked at this post and saw the colors are not showing on the web page once the suggestion is posted.

•  11-20-2006, 6:15 PM 539 in reply to 538

Re: Expense Reports

Dear Esther,

First of all, thank you for the detailed explanation of your enhancement suggestion for HealthFrame.

One of the most exciting features of HealthFrame 2.1 is our ability to support a plug-in technology known as OpenHealth Services (OHS).  Using OHS, with a simple click on a web link, HealthFrame can expand to support new reports, health risk assessments, etc.  In particular, OHS allows us to offer you a new report that provides you with the functionality you described above (please see image below for a sample of what the report will look like, once you install the OHS plug-in).

Here are the steps you need to take to install the OHS plug-in for calculating your 2006 medical mileage deduction:

1. Go to http://www.recordsforliving.com/OpenHealthServices/ServiceDirectory.aspx - in general to find out about OHS plug-ins.  (You can get to this site from HealthFrame, by clicking on Help / Sample OpenHealth Services and then clicking on the link in the document).

2. Click on the link for 2006 IRS Mileage Deductions

3. Even if HealthFrame is not running the installation should work (you'll see a couple of dialog boxes confirming the plug-in installation - click OK).

4. Start HealthFrame and you should see the 2006 IRS Mileage Deductions report is now available in your Reports > OpenHealth Reports & Services section.

5. To start using this new report, create a mileage expense, with type Mileage - please note the capitalization and note that you need to select the ellipsis (...) type in order to enter Mileage.

6. If you want to experiment with the report without having to enter any data yourself, simply download our updated sample for "Susan Marie Taylor": http://www.recordsforliving.com/PersonalHealthRecords/SamplePHRs.aspxAll you need to do is click on that link and the sample personal health record (PHR) will be installed.  If you open that PHR, you will be able to see the report shown below.

Thanks again for your detailed feature request and we hope that you will continue to share your suggestions with us,

Support Team

•  01-16-2007, 12:50 PM 580 in reply to 538

Thank you so very much for your reply. Now I have another question, is it possible to change the Memo field in the report to the Provider field so the name of the provided will display as well as the date of service, and the mileage?

Many thanks!

•  01-18-2007, 9:53 PM 583 in reply to 580

Attachment: UpdatedReport.PNG

We're happy to hear that you found the Mileage report useful.  We have modified the report to include provider information (either individual provider or organization/hospital/etc).  Please note that this information can only be extracted if you LINK the expense for the mileage to a visit with a specified provider.

The new report looks like the picture below.

Thanks for your input!

Support Team

•  01-18-2007, 9:56 PM 584 in reply to 583

The updated report will be posted on the OHS (OpenHealth Service) plug-in directory soon.  In the meantime, you can download it from this link and click on it to install/upgrade in HealthFrame.

Thanks,
    Support Team

View as RSS news feed in XML