Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Feature suggestion - When adding a visit, list of providers is overwhelming, not organized

Last post 02-10-2017, 3:30 AM by dealio. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-18-2017, 11:30 AM 1795

Feature suggestion - When adding a visit, list of providers is overwhelming, not organized

When adding a new visit to the database, and I click on Provider, I get a nicely organized menu that lists the most recent 5 providers I've used (very helpful!), followed by submenus Active Providers (Individuals), Active Providers (Organizations), All Individuals, All Organizations and menuitems to allow the addition of new providers (very helpful!). The issue is that each submenu presents the entire list of providers all together, unorganized. For example for the Active Providers (Individuals), the list includes ALL individual providers mixing doctors (M.D., O.D.) in with nurses (RN, LPN, NP, MSN), dentists, therapists, PA (physician's assistants), and other individuals whose titles don't show. And the list does not appear to be sorted in any logical fashion, which makes finding the individual I want tedious, and it increases the likelihood of my adding a duplicate of a person already in the list because I didn't notice them in the long long list (over 30 individuals, for example).
    Suggestions:
    1) It would be helpful at a minimum to sort the list by last name, but even better than that
    2) if the list were sorted first by title then by last name that would make it easier to keep the dentists separated from the internal medicine doctors and so on so that I'm not sorting through irrelevant data to enter a visit.
    Unlike the All Providers (Individuals) submenu, the All Providers (Organizations) submenu appears to be sorted by organization name, which is very useful. The addition that I would suggest for the list of organizations is
    3) to segregate it by organization type: dental offices, hospitals and clinics, therapists, pharmacies, etc. The other aspect of these submenus that makes them tedious to use is they are very very long as I have many individuals of different types in the lists. Since the list is not organized, scrolling through it is a must, and there appears to be only one way to scroll through it - by using the arrow that appears at the ends of the lists. There are no scroll bars that would make jumping down the list quicker, and the mouse wheel does not work either.
    4) Perhaps segregating the list into further submenus (doctors, nurses, hospitals, therapists, pharmacies, dentists, vision, etc.) would minimize or even eliminate the need for scrolling. It would certainly make finding the provider I want much quicker and easier.
    - TIA for your help!
    David
  •  02-05-2017, 12:54 PM 1804 in reply to 1795

Re: Feature suggestion - When adding a visit, list of providers is overwhelming, not organized

Attachment: screenshot.png
    I'm confused because the list of providers - even the 'all individuals' sub-menu - already appears to be sorted alphabetically (by last name).

Please see the attached screenshot from the Jose Gonzolez sample PHR.

I can see how we could make this somewhat better perhaps - by adding more categories - but there are alot of categories that might make sense. At some point - popups stop working as an effective UI, and we may need to go to more of a search interface.
  •  02-10-2017, 3:30 AM 1810 in reply to 1795

Re: Feature suggestion - When adding a visit, list of providers is overwhelming, not organized

Upon reviewing my post and your screenshot, and revisiting the application, I noticed that point #1 in my post is not correct! My apologies. I don't know how I missed that. The list is indeed sorted alphabetically. Sorry I missed that. The other points remain, though in some cases they are my attempt at providing a solution that makes finding and selecting the right individual or organization easier and quicker, that is perhaps only one way to go about it. I know you are concerned about the complexity of the application. Perhaps it would work to establish some protocol for grouping individuals if you don't like the examples in my suggestion, and make grouping an option that may be turned on or off by the user, defaulting it to off so that users who are not concerned about it need never bother with it. I ask only because in today's medical environment I find that more and more I have to be the one to keep accurate records of what practitioners diagnose, test, treat, prescribe, etc. because I find that the medical industry doesn't do a good job of it any more. It is what makes your software so special and needed. But I'd like to spend minimal (but valued) time entering historical medical details, so my suggestions usually speak to efficiency and/or accuracy. My goal with your software is to be able to track every concern in enough related detail and to be able to uncover (remember) the whole story whenever I stumble on any related item (through following the relationships). Because eventually my memory will not suffice.

Thanks for your patience in reading my posts and I hope you take then in the vein that I intend - to help make a better product.

David

- TIA for your help!
    David
View as RSS news feed in XML