Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Feature suggestions

Last post 06-27-2016, 12:02 PM by Records For Living Support. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-22-2016, 5:13 PM 1775

Feature suggestions

As I've been using v3.0.1 of the app more and more, I've noticed some potential enhancements that I believe will improve the user experience, improve data entry accuracy or simplify the use of the app. They are listed below.

Feature Suggestions
    1. When adding a new units entry in the Test panel (and any other field where user-defined units are allowed), store the new unit so that when adding other metrics that use the same units, the user doesn't have to retype the same units again. This is not only a time-saver, but it will also decrease the chances of typos and inconsistent data entry.
    2. On forms which allow you to associate the new record to a visit, for example, automatically include a link to that visit in the Relationships section. An example of this is on the Tests form when you fill in the During Visit field in both the Ordered and Administered sections, it would be convenient to automatically include links to both visits in the Relationships sections to make it easier to follow the flow of events (which doctor ordered what tests, ordered when, and when and what the results of the test were)
    3. Consider making the Notes fields rich text fields so that they can be used to capture actual reports from doctors; for example, his notes on my physical exam. Currently I capture this by scanning and using OCR to create rich text that can be dumped into a Journal entry (e.g. Visit Notes (transcribed)), then relate that journal entry to the visit that where the doctor wrote the notes. I also attach a copy of the original in case of error as a backup, but the notes are readily readable within the app, which is quicker than opening an attachment. It's just a matter of convenience but important because it can save time when you're researching a discrepancy in your medical history (that is, differences between my description of the symptoms vs. the doctor's write up, what he ordered vs. what was done and whether there was a follow-up visit to review the results of any tests or consultations with other doctors).
    4. Consider adding reminder functionality for upcoming events (visit, to-do items, etc.) so that you don't have to open the app to see that you have an upcoming event, and you don't have to do double entry (adding the appt. to the app and to your calendar). This might be accomplished by integrating with Outlook or Apple Reminders, etc.
    5. The ability to 1) compare test results of the same test type and 2) graph related numerical data from the test panel entries. What I mean is this: Take the CMP (comprehensive metabolic panel) for example. It has about 16 variables it measures with reference ranges for "normal" for each variable. This capability would allow the 1) comparison of test results across selected CMP tests, flagging any variable that falls outside its reference range; this would help with spotting trends and controlling levels by changing diet or by taking vitamin supplements, etc. 2) The graphing capability would allow you to select the variables that you want to plot, and select the dates of the same test done as explained in 1) and plot them all in one graph with lines for the reference range and using color (or an icon) to flag results that fall outside the reference range. Benefit: trend spotting and planning activities, medications or treatments to change the results.
    6. Either make the Description text boxes larger or put a button next to them that when clicked expands them so that not so much scrolling is required to read larger descriptions. With modern day screens, screen real estate is available to do this.
    7. I use the Journals for entering information about routine exercise, health observations, medication changes and effects, sleep journal, and transcribed visit and test result notes (which I relate to the associated visit). I relate some journal entries to other items, and because the Relationships section is above the actual journal entries, I always have to scroll down to the journal entries to enter a new one. I suggest moving the Relationships section below the Journal Entry section. The primary reason I go to the Journals is to make a new entry, and not to review the relationships. Changing the order placing the Journal entries first is a convenience that will make entering journals a bit more intuitive and easier.
    8. In Calendar view, understanding what events happened when would be much easier if there were a calendar view that was a simple list that contained events (visits, test results, notes, journal entries, etc.) that happened on each day in the range of dates selected. This would be easiest to read in list format with headers such as DATE, TYPE (of event), CONTACT, DESCRIPTION. As an enhancement to this feature, it would be nice to be able to filter the list by type of medical records (dental records vs. eye records vs. general medical records, etc.) so that if you are looking for something specific on the calendar dealing with dental visits, they are easily found without wading through a "mountain" of irrelevant calendar events.
    9. Make the Expand All Fields button expand only fields that actually have data entered rather than the current functionality which expands all fields whether they have data or not. I don't often fill out every field possible on a page, so expanding all fields usually clutters the screen with many empty boxes that are of no interest to me, forcing me to close the empty ones so that I can focus on the ones that have the data that I need to see.
    10. The ability to enter tables into the Journal field is great. However, it is very inflexible and not easy to work with. Navigating the table from cell to cell requires using the mouse (arrow keys, the return key and tab do not move you from cell to cell as you might expect). The arrow keys actually do nothing at all. If you provide an easy means of navigating tables, they would be much more useful (for example using some combination of arrow keys to provide forward, backward, up and down movement, key combinations like control+arrow key/shift+control arrow key or Alt+arrow/shift+alt+arrow key or control+tab/shift+control+tab) used them to allow movement from cell to cell, it would simplify using the table. As the feature is, I would seldom use it because it is too much work to get the data in, and if the table disappears, 9 months later when I'm looking at the record, I won't remember that there's an invisible table there and that I should click in the text box to see it.

- TIA for your help!
    David
  •  06-27-2016, 12:02 PM 1781 in reply to 1775

Re: Feature suggestions

Attachment: screenshot.png
    #1 - When adding a new units entry in the Test panel ... remember units

This is a very good idea. I've added http://bugzilla.recordsforliving.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1037 to track this issue. This is slightly more complicated than it may appear on the surface, because if you make a mistake with units, HealthFrame will then continue suggesting this mistake.

But that mostly applies the case of entering NEW units for a measurement type, and doesnt apply when you are selecting from existing units.

And we could count how many times a unit was used, and start suggesting it when the user uses it a few times.

Or - we could provide a UI to allow editing/augmenting our 'reference content' which all these units and other concepts are based on (but thats a bigger effort).

#2 WOW. What an oversight! You are COMPLETELY correct. Tests administered or ordered 'during a visit' should be (automatically) listed in the visits 'relationship' section. Thanks for catching this!
    http://bugzilla.recordsforliving.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1038

#3 We actually have something better in mind, but its alot of work to implement, so I'm not sure how quickly we'll get to it. In HeallthFrame v3 data model, we treat journal entries EXACTLY the same as 'notes' on objects like visits etc (which is the gitst of what you are asking for - except your focused on the user interface, not the back end data model).

Then 'journals' become nothing more than 'tags' associated with 'notes' - and a journal is just a collection of notes all sharing a particular tag. Then you could attach 'notes' - like 'yellow sticky notes' to any object in HealthFrame (using full rich text) - and still be able to see the grouped by 'journal' (aka tag).

But that requires alot of html magic, and may need to wait for the HTML5 rewrite..

#4 Yes - we have this on our 'roadmap' - but I cannot say when we will get to this. We could do this with the windows notification manager, but more likely we'll allow you to add a 'synchonization' rule to automatically synchonize with a calendar (like outlook or google calendar). And then that tool will give you your 'notifications'. ( http://bugzilla.recordsforliving.com/show_bug.cgi?id=290 )

#5: Beware there already is a feature in Healthframe that does much of you want. Goto 'User defined graph', and select "page customizations">show measrurements > By test Type

See attached screenshot.

This isn't perfect. Our graphing package deals badly with more than 3 or 4 different types. So you can use the Show > by measurement type popup to remove a few series from the graph and then it displays better.

Also - I've added http://bugzilla.recordsforliving.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1039 to our bug tracking system to track the idea to link to this page directly from each individual test page.

#6 has been covered earlier. I agree. This just isn't as easy as it appears to you (and me) that it should be. Sorry. This is on our list to fix.

#7 I'm not sure I understand why this would be helpful, but its easy and I see no good reason for the order to be the other way - so I added http://bugzilla.recordsforliving.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1040 - to our list - and we should be able to this quickly.

#8 I'm not sure I understand this request. Is your request equivilent to allowing you to 'select all the days in a month' - and then see the details (as you do now) for all selected items? And then adding more filter abilities (like 'show only items related to')?

We already have on our list of requests - http://bugzilla.recordsforliving.com/show_bug.cgi?id=752 - Chronological listing of all calender entries report? Maybe if we combined THAT with some sort of filter based on concern (related to?)

#9 This is a nice idea. I've added http://bugzilla.recordsforliving.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1041 - to track this "Make 'expand all' menu item 3-state - expand all with data, then expand all, then collapse all)"

The challenge here is that each page would need to be modified and have custom logic to know what 'sections' are empty, making this a bit of work. A good idea, and perhaps we'll get to it. It depends on how many other people request this, and priorities. So much todo.

#10 - this is actually a bug in an open source word processing component I use. https://github.com/SophistSolutions/Stroika/tree/V2-Release/Library/Sources/Stroika/Frameworks/Led ; I opened a bug report there to track this issue. https://stroika.atlassian.net/browse/STK-492

Thanks for all of your VERY thoughtful suggestions. I hope we can eventually address them all, but please be patient as we work our way through our large backlog of requests.

And please feel free to vote/clarify what things are most important!
View as RSS news feed in XML