Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Where can I find the user data that I enter

Last post 10-30-2009, 6:25 PM by Records For Living Support. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-28-2009, 12:51 PM 1482

Where can I find the user data that I enter

I want to be able to backup the data that I enter without backing up the entire program.  In Windows Explorer what file extension and folder will I find my data in, please?

Thanks

•  09-29-2009, 8:36 PM 1490 in reply to 1482

Re: Where can I find the user data that I enter

HealthFrame stores your medical record data in an encrypted database containing multiple files.   Location information for the data files can be found here.

Thank you for using HealthFrame,
    Support Team
  •  10-10-2009, 5:14 AM 1497 in reply to 1490

It would be nice if the Records For Living folder could be password protected.  I have password folder protection software and tried using it with HealthFrame but it doesn't work.  Is there any change that future editions of Healhframe will have some type of security feature that would be applicable even if the data is exported to a flash drive?
    Your best help begins with you.
    http:proactivehealthoutlet.com
  •  10-13-2009, 8:58 PM 1500 in reply to 1497

Hi, Vicbat!

Welcome to the HealthFrame user community forum and thank you for your interest in HealthFrame.

Please note a few of points:
    • All health records stored in the HealthFrame database are encrypted - you do not need to further encrypt them...
    • All backup files generated by HealthFrame are encrypted - you do not need to further encrypt them either...
    • If you password protect your health records using the Options / Edit Password... menu, then the files will only be accessible if you know the password
    Please consider password protecting your health records as described above.  Then create backup files of your health records using the File / Save PHR Backup... menu.  Save the backup file to a flash drive.  Now HealthFrame can open the records (using the password) and no one else can.

There is no need to use additional password folder protection software...

Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance,
    Support Team
  •  10-17-2009, 11:27 AM 1505 in reply to 1497

Thanks for your reply.

Excuse the inappropriateness of his reply, but I am fairly new and apparently do not yet have permission to start new threads.

My second concern is with data exported to a pen drive. Do you recommend installing the viewer software on any computer in which the pen drive is going to be connected so as to have the full display of the data as opposed to just the limited display in a text file format? Also, is Records for Living considering maybe including preformatted pen drives for exportation of data, so that the full display functionality can be appreciated?

Your best help begins with you.
    http:proactivehealthoutlet.com
  •  10-20-2009, 9:15 PM 1512 in reply to 1505

Hello again, Vicbat!

Please no need for apologies.  We're sorry to hear that you've had problems posting to the forum (creating a new thread). We checked your account setting and you should be able to create new threads.  Please give it a try and let us know if you're still having issues.  (It may be a browser issue, so maybe try a couple of different browsers if you have issues still).

Using HealthFrame Viewer is preferred - as you said - for the full display of data.

Records for Living does not currently have plans to sell preformatted pen drives, but we are willing to partner with businesses that may wish to market re-branded versions of HealthFrame, available for distribution in pen drives.

Thanks!
    Support Team
  •  10-30-2009, 6:25 PM 1516 in reply to 1482

Hi!

You can find the location of HealthFrame databases in this Community Forum posting.

Please note, however, that this is not the recommended way of doing backups with HealthFrame.  Records for Living strongly recommends that you use the built-in backup and restore functionality that is accessible from HealthFrame (see File menu).

Part of the reason is because HealthFrame follows technical conventions set by Microsoft for storing its data and the location of this folder typically changes from operating system to operating system.  Here is a quote from a Microsoft forum post that explains this issue:

Application Data is an environment variable that is programmatically set.  If you open a command prompt and type set, you will then see all of the environment variables that are available to you.

Application Data is represented by the environment variable %appdata%.  In Windows 2K/XP/2003 it pointed to c:\documents and settings\%username%\application data.  In Vista and Windows 7, it now points to c:\users\%username%\appdata\roaming.

If you ever need to refer to the Application Data directory, just type %appdata% in the Run dialog box, the Start menu search box, or at the command prompt.  Also, if you are looking to use it in a batch file or a script, you definitely want to make use of the environment variable.

In particular, with the upgrade to Windows 7, Microsoft is relying on a mechanism known as "Junctions" to redirect programs from the pre-Windows 7 locations to the updated location.  While the Junction mechanism works for programs like HealthFrame, which follow the %appdata% conventions, you cannot treat Junctions as a regular folder.  Direct access to the Junction as a folder will result in access errors.

For this reason, Records for Living strongly encourages our users to rely on the built-in backup and restore mechanisms.

Thank you for using HealthFrame,
    Support Team
View as RSS news feed in XML