Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Save PHR Backup

Last post 08-22-2007, 10:54 PM by Records For Living Support. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-22-2007, 10:33 PM 838

Save PHR Backup

1. Each time I save a backup, the entire file is saved and added to the location where ALL prior backups have been saved. That means that in a relatively short time (a year?) HUNDREDS of files with mostly duplicate data will be stored on the hard drive in the same location. That is excessive and wasteful. A backup should occur each time new data is added; it is not easy to remember to do so.
         2. I can NOT delete the old files and, if I "overwrite" one, the replacement file retains the SAME date and time info as the old one. That means I can NOT recognize the LATEST backup. If I have to reinstall the program, and restore a backup, I don't know which one to use.
         3. Other data programs that provide for backing up, such as Microsoft Money, AUTOMATICALLY backup (by OVERWRITING the last backup, and showing current date and time) EACH TIME THE  PROGRAM IS EXITED. This uses a few extra seconds of time, but there is no need to remember the importance of backing up, and no added data gets missed.
         . It is important to maintain a current backup for restoration if something happens to the data file. It is also important to avoid excessive, and duplicating usage of hard drive space.

Can you fix the program so that old backup files can be overwritten and/or deleted when a current backup is made, and the new file shows the current date and time? Thank you.

James S.
  •  08-22-2007, 10:54 PM 839 in reply to 838

Re: Save PHR Backup

Attachment: ViewBackups.GIF
    Thank you for your comments on the current "Backup PHR" support.  We agree that automating the generation of backup files is useful and something that have been considering adding in a future release.

A few comments that you might find helpful:

1. When you use the "Save PHR Backup" menu item, you have the ability to change the default name for the file.  You can remove the date information and emulate much of the behavior you describe above - except for the automation.

2.  If you choose to maintain multiple versions of your backups, you can still manage your existing backups by using the "View Backups" menu item, which invokes the File Explorer.  You can then sort by date, and remove unwanted backup files.  Please see image below.

Thanks for your input,
    Support Team

View as RSS news feed in XML