Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Importing data

Last post 01-11-2008, 10:24 PM by Records For Living Support. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-04-2007, 8:16 PM 843

Importing data

I like what I see but have a major problem, I have both Glucose and blood pressure meters that download directly to my computer.  I have years of records that I need to import for my weight, glucose and blood pressure.  I have found no way to do this on any forms that I have seen.  All programs will export to .TXT or CSV and I plan to continue to use both meters for some time as my doctor now expects my computer report on each visit.  Is there a simple way short of typing in all the data to import my data and is there a chance that an update may be in the works to handle my problem.  I have not purchased your program yet and if I can over come this import problem you can be assures I will purchase it ASAP.  Oh my records cover over 20 years so I hope you see my problem.

Thank you
    Loran
  •  09-04-2007, 9:47 PM 847 in reply to 843

Re: Importing data

Dear Loran,

Thank you for your interest in HealthFrame!

We can certainly appreciate that you would rather not type over 20 years of medical history... Smile [:)]

HealthFrame supports a feature called OpenHealth Services (OHS) Plug-Ins.  With the OHS Plug-Ins we can extend HealthFrame's capabilities without having to wait for a new product release.  See for instance: http://community.recordsforliving.com/forums/post/542.aspx

OHS Plug-Ins can also be used to help import data into and out of HealthFrame, acting as a data converter.

We can take a look at implementing OHS Plug-Ins that would allow you to import your glucose and blood pressure data into HealthFrame.  If you'd like, please generate the CSV files and send us a sample of the data.  For each test type (glucose or blood pressure), please generate a CSV file which hopefully includes a 'header' line with the column name.  All we need is a handful of lines (maybe 4 or 5 lines of data) - and the data does not need to be 'real'.  Feel free to change the values, since all we'll need is the structure of the CSV files.

If any of this is not clear, please feel free to post back to this forum or email us at support@RecordsForLiving.com

Support Team
  •  09-05-2007, 9:06 PM 848 in reply to 847

I submitted my data this afternoon by E-Mail as stated the two machines I use daily is the Gluecose meter, and the Blood pressure meter.  Both machines download to the computer and save a lot of typing on my part as well as reducing errors.  The Glucose machine uses a program known as ACCU-CHECK COMPASS and the blood pressure machine uses Microlife's Blood Pressure Analyzer Softwarewhich I just purchased last month.  I have been using Accu-check Compass for some time.  I do thank yu for your response and I am looking to the day I can combine all my records in one program and yours is by far better than any I have found that I can afford.Big Smile [:D]

Thank You

Loran

•  09-10-2007, 9:26 PM 850 in reply to 848

Attachment: InstallingOHSD.PNG
    Dear Loran,

Thank you for providing sample files that we can use for testing!

We have created an OpenHealth Service (OHS) Plug In for your blood pressure measurements.

This OHS Plug In can be used with any comma separated file (CSV file) that follows the following format:

Systolic,Diastolic,Pulse,Date,Time
    132,85,70,09-10-2007,9:07 PM
    130,82,73,09-09-2007,10:00 AM

The important thing is that the columns be in that order.  We will generalize the impementation when we finalize the code, but in the meantime we wanted for you to be able to test how this works for you.

Here are the steps you'll need to take:

1. Download the attached zip file in the next response in this thread (the community forum only supports a single attachment per entry...).  It contains a single file: BloodPressureImport.OHSD.  That's the OHS Plusg In that you'll need to install in HealthFrame.

2. Expand the zip file and double click on the OHSD file.  You will see a couple of dialog boxes as shown in the image below.  Click OK on both.

Once the Blood Pressure Import OHS Plug In is installed, you will be able to double click on your blood pressure export file or use the File/Import menu item to import your blood pressure data.

The one extra step you should need to take, is to change the file extension in your file to bpcsv.  For instance, you'd need to rename your mbp.csv file to mbp.bpcsv.  This lets HealthFrame know which particular 'flavor' of CSV file you are importing.

Note that you also sent us another sample file (lfc.csv) which also seemed to contain blood pressure measurements, but they were included in the mbp.csv file.

We will send you later an OHS Plug In for the blood glucose information, too.

Please let us know if you run into any problems.

Thanks for your interest in HealthFrame,
    Support Team

•  09-10-2007, 9:28 PM 851 in reply to 850

Here's the OHS Plug In installer.

Thanks,
    Support Team
  •  09-12-2007, 11:21 AM 852 in reply to 851

I have not had a chance to spend much time on this project as I'm catching up on outside work that was stopped due to post surgery orders.  I will get on this and see how it works.

Thanks

Loran

•  09-12-2007, 4:55 PM 853 in reply to 852

I am doing something wrong, I have exported the blood pressure files a number of times making sure the format is as you indicated.  I continue to get the same error, so I'm not doing something right some where and the mud is not getting any clearer.  The error is as follows:

AN ERROR OCCURED WHILE IMPORTING RECORD DATA

XML FILE VALIDATION FAILURE. INVALID TOP LEVEL OF THE DOCUMENT.

CHECK THAT THE SOURCE OF THIS IMPORTED RECORD IS VALID.

You may need a 2X4 to get my head working.

Loran

•  09-12-2007, 7:31 PM 854 in reply to 853

Attachment: InstalledPlugIns.PNG
    Dear Loran,

Sorry for the problems you are experiencing when trying to use the OHS Plug-In.

One step that I haven't confirmed that you saw from the original instructions is "...to change the file extension in your file to bpcsv.  For instance, you'd need to rename your mbp.csv file to mbp.bpcsv.  This lets HealthFrame know which particular 'flavor' of CSV file you are importing."

If you just try to import a file that ends in .csv, HealthFrame does not realize that it needs to use the Plug-In you just installed.

Also, please verify that the Plug-In is installed by looking that the Home > Reports > OpenHealth Reports  & Services - click on the Configure Button at the bottom.  You should see a listing of installed Plug-Ins (see image below).  In that list, do you see "Blood Pressure Import"?

We will be sending you a private email with your sample file using the .bpcsv extension for testing.

Thanks for your patience,
    Support Team

PS. We STRONGLY recommend against using the 2x4... Wink [;)]

•  11-06-2007, 4:09 PM 898 in reply to 854

OpenHealth Service (OHS) Plug In for blood pressure measurements. Worked great on Windows XP SP2. After much testing working and a few nice words it still will not import on Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have performed a fresh install two times after removing any trace of Records for Living with the same results each time. I'll keep working to be sure that I am not the problem. Wink [;)]

I mailed you the CSV for the blood sugar yesterday.  I am sure it will perform as well as the blood pressure OHS just some little thing in Vista is the problem on this one.  I like the program very much and your support has been far above any Big Smile [:D] company I have delt with in over 40 years in Large Main Frame and small systems maintenance.Surprise [:O]

•  11-07-2007, 12:46 PM 899 in reply to 898

Attachment: DoIHaveJava.PNG
    Loran,

It's great to hear back from you and to know that the OHS Plug in for importing blood pressure measurements is working on Windows XP SP2.

We're sorry about the problems you've run in with Vista, and we'll work with you to figure out what the problem may be.  We will need a little bit of information from you...  The OHS Plug in requires that Java be installed in your computer.  It is possible that with a recent Vista installation that you may not have Java installed yet.  Please take the following steps and let us know the results:

• Go to http://www.java.com
    • Click on the link that says "Do I have Java?" (please see image below for locating the link)
    If you already have Java installed, please let us know what version.  If not:

• Still in the http://www.java.com site, please click on the "Free Java Download" button and install it.
    • Re-install HealthFrame and the OHS Plug In - if they're not installed already.
    • Please retry.
    Did it work this time?

As for the OHS for blood glucose, we will take a look at the CSV you sent us and we will send you an additional plug in.

Thank you for your kind words about support.  We certainly try to be helful and responsive to our customers' needs and we appreciate your support and use of HealthFrame.

Support Team

•  11-08-2007, 11:13 PM 901 in reply to 899

I do have JAVA V6 R3 on all systems now.  My Laptop and Vista came with JAVA V6 R3 and I down loaded JAVA 6 for my main system  and for some reason it had some error on installing but stated it installed fine. OHS did not work  on first installation but after  a second install it now works fine.  OHS still will not install on the vista system. I have a HP dual core cpu 3G memory 500g hard drive. I am looking at the .CSV data now as I have to change the date format.  This is however the same CSV data I am using on the XP system. When I have more time to spend on this project I'm sure more progress will be made.  I'll keep you up to date on any progress I make.

Thank You. Wink [;)]

•  11-09-2007, 4:46 PM 902 in reply to 901

Loran,

thank you very much for getting back to us.

A couple of points:

(1) We have asked our development team to consider improving error messages on OHS Plug-in installation if/when Java is not installed.  I think this will happen to a number of new Vista users and it is not necessarily obvious what's going on, without the message...   Smile [:)]

(2) We were able to reproduce the problem on one of our Vista systems and development is working on that right now.  I hope to be able to get back to you about the Vista incompatibility issue in the next few days.  For now, please don't spend additional time testing this.  We believe we may have run into a system compatibility problem.

Thank you VERY MUCH for your help and feedback,
    Support Team

Have a good Veteran's Day weekend!
  •  11-12-2007, 9:41 PM 903 in reply to 902

Attachment: RunAsAdminstrator.JPG
    Loran,

Our development team has figured out the problem that accounted for both issues: (i) the error message that should have been displayed, letting you know that you did not have Java installed in your Vista computer; (ii) the fact that your import isn't working in Vista.

The issue is that OHS plug-ins require privileged access (as administrator) to be installed.  Vista has created a multi-step privilege access process and we need to make sure that you follow these steps so that your installation works:

(1) In your Vista computer, locate your HealthFrame program icon (typically in your desktop).
    (2) Right mouse click and select the "Run as adminstrator" menu item.  (See image)
    (3) A dialog box will come up asking you to grant permission to HealthFrame.  (See image) Please click the 'Continue' button.
    (4) Once HealthFrame starts, please go to the Options / More Options... menu item. 
    (5) Now click on the install button and find the OHSD file to install the OHS plug-in.  It is really important that you use the install button as described above, this guarantees that the installation of the OHS plug-in happens using a copy of HealthFrame that is running with administrative privileges.  If you double click on the OHSD file or click on a link, for instance, the installation won't work.

Once you've taken these steps, the import of your CSV file should work.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions and thank you for using HealthFrame,
    Support Team

•  11-12-2007, 11:38 PM 904 in reply to 903

BINGO !Big Smile [:D]

You folks nailed it.  I followed your instructions and the file imported with out a hitch, no problems what ever.

Thank you and the team ever so much.Big Smile [:D]

•  01-11-2008, 10:24 PM 948 in reply to 904

The blood pressure import plug-in has been updated to support international date formats, such as DD-MM-YYYY (e.g. 31-01-2007).

You can download it from our web site.

Thanks,
    Support Team
    Records For Living
View as RSS news feed in XML