Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

USB Key device?

Last post 09-25-2008, 10:19 PM by Records For Living Support. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-16-2006, 10:00 PM 139

USB Key device?

I keep clicking on your (FAQ) Frequently Asked Questions.

Under portable Medical Records:

Can I put my records on a USB- key device?

It will not answer? I've even cancelled the pop-up blocker?
    So, will you please answer the question for me? I'd like to take my records to the Doctors office or went I 'm traveling. But, I don't want to keep buying
    programs for my desktop, laptop notebook, or a friends computer to access it? I trying to export it to xml. What a mess!

•  03-16-2006, 10:04 PM 140 in reply to 139

Re: USB Key device?

We’re sorry that you are unable to open the FAQ question.  Maybe you can help us figure out the incompatibility problem: What browser are you using? What version?  What platform?

If you had been able to see the text, it would have said:

Can I put my records on a USB-key device?

The easiest way to accomplish this is for users to print their HealthFrame reports to a PDF file (a number of commercial products exist on the internet that support PDF printer drivers). Once the report has been printed, users can then download them to their USB-key device. PDF files are readable with Adobe’s reader (http://www.adobe.com) and are widely used in the internet for document distribution.

You are correct that the XML file is not meant to be viewed by a doctor, directly.  It is merely a mechanism that allows programs to exchange information or at times it serves as an intermediary format that can be transformed into a humanly-readable document.  The upcoming release of HealthFrame 2.0 will support a special format of XML called CCR (Continuity of Care Record).  This special format will be readable by a number of different computer programs, including some hospitals’ and doctors’ software.  In the future, you might be able to carry a CCR XML export of your personal health records in a USB drive, plug the USB into the provider’s computer and the information will be available to your doctors, in a readable format.

For now, and in particular with 1.0, you should consider the suggestion pasted (above) from our website.  There are a number of PDF print drivers available on the internet, for instance: http://www.pdf995.com/download.html

These programs act like a printer (i.e. you use the File/Print… menu), but instead of the program printing to a physical printer, it generates a PDF file that can be saved anywhere, including to a USB drive.  Once you save the PDF to a USB drive, any computer that reads PDF will be able to view the reports.  I have attached a fictitious sample to this email (medical history summary).

Finally, a point of clarification about our licensing agreement: the HealthFrame license is a family license that can be installed in any computer that belongs to any member of the same family/household, to be used by those individuals.  Specifically, you do not need to purchase separate licenses for your desktop and for your laptop.

Thanks for your feedback on HealthFrame, and we look forward to continuing to serve you.

Support Team.

•  03-16-2006, 10:08 PM 141 in reply to 140

What browser are you using?MOZILLA What version? 1.1.12 What platform? DO YOU MEAN  WINDOWS XP MEDIA CENTER ?

You are correct that the XML file is not meant to be viewed by a doctor, directly.  It is merely a mechanism that allows programs to exchange information or at times it serves as an intermediary format that can be transformed into a humanly-readable document.  The upcoming release of HealthFrame 2.0 will support a special format of XML called CCR (Continuity of Care Record).  This special format will be readable by a number of different computer programs IT WOULD COME UP ON MY MOZILLA BROWSER LOOKING LIKE HTML? OR SOMETHING?, including some hospitals’ and doctors’ software.  In the future, you might be able to carry a CCR XML export of your personal health records in a USB drive, plug the USB into the provider’s computer and the information will be available to your doctors, in a readable format.

These programs act like a printer (i.e. you use the File/Print… menu), but instead of the program printing to a physical printer, it generates a PDF file that can be saved anywhere, TO PAPERPORT? including to a USB drive.  Once you save the PDF to a USB drive, any computer that reads PDF will be able to view the reports.  I have attached fictitious samples to this email (emergency card & medical history summary).  YES I'VE USED PDF   CONVERTER  PROGRAMS BEFORE

Finally, a point of clarification about our licensing agreement: the HealthFrame license is a family license that can be installed in any computer that belongs to any member of the same family/household, to be used by those individuals. GREAT I'M PLANNLING ON BUYING THE FULL VERSION IN THE NEXT TWO DAYS. I HAVE  DOWNLOADED THE FREE TRIAL TO MY LAPTOP .  TELL, ME I DON'T HAVE TO RE-ENTER EVERYTHING AGAIN? IT WOULD TAKE HOURS!!!!.

ON YOUR PROGRAM'S START PAGE I DID A BACK UP FILE. THEN I FOUND WHERE IT WAS LOCATED ON MY DESKTOP COMPUTER. EXPORTED IT TO A JUMPDRIVE. THEN OPENED YOUR SOFTWARE ON MY LAPTOP. TRIED TO OPEN THE JUMPDRIVE FILE. NO LUCK? THE ERROR SIGN SAID IT COULDN'T FIND THE PROGRAM THAT COULD OPEN IT?   Specifically, you do not need to purchase separate licenses for your desktop and for your laptop.

•  03-16-2006, 10:12 PM 142 in reply to 141

Thank you for the information you provided about your browser.  The remainder of the answers below in green.

Support Team

Records For Living, Inc.

http://www.RecordsForLiving.com

You are correct that the XML file is not meant to be viewed by a doctor, directly.  It is merely a mechanism that allows programs to exchange information or at times it serves as an intermediary format that can be transformed into a humanly-readable document.  The upcoming release of HealthFrame 2.0 will support a special format of XML called CCR (Continuity of Care Record).  This special format will be readable by a number of different computer programs IT WOULD COME UP ON MY MOZILLA BROWSER LOOKING LIKE HTML? OR SOMETHING? Yes.  There are ways of converting XML documents to readable formats like HTML.  In particular, for CCR, there are scripts that convert the CCR XML document into viewable/readable text.  The really important aspect of CCR, however, is that you will be able to carry those documents and there will be multiple mechanisms to view the information, besides HealthFrame., including some hospitals’ and doctors’ software.  In the future, you might be able to carry a CCR XML export of your personal health records in a USB drive, plug the USB into the provider’s computer and the information will be available to your doctors, in a readable format.

These programs act like a printer (i.e. you use the File/Print… menu), but instead of the program printing to a physical printer, it generates a PDF file that can be saved anywhere, TO PAPERPORT? The generated PDF files should work with PAPERPORT, like any other PDF would.  including to a USB drive.  Once you save the PDF to a USB drive, any computer that reads PDF will be able to view the reports.  I have attached fictitious samples to this email (emergency card & medical history summary).  YES I'VE USED PDF   CONVERTER  PROGRAMS BEFORE

Finally, a point of clarification about our licensing agreement: the HealthFrame license is a family license that can be installed in any computer that belongs to any member of the same family/household, to be used by those individuals. GREAT I'M PLANNLING ON BUYING THE FULL VERSION IN THE NEXT TWO DAYS. I HAVE  DOWNLOADED THE FREE TRIAL TO MY LAPTOP .  TELL, ME I DON'T HAVE TO RE-ENTER EVERYTHING AGAIN? IT WOULD TAKE HOURS!!!!.  You do NOT need to re-enter your data.  All you need to do is from the computer where you entered the data, start HealthFrame and do a File/Backup.  Copy the generated backup file to the other computer.  Be sure you have installed HealthFrame in the other computer too.  When you start HealthFrame, restore the backup.  You should treat the HealthFrame backup file as any other document you might transfer between home and laptop computers.

ON YOUR PROGRAM'S START PAGE I DID A BACK UP FILE. THEN I FOUND WHERE IT WAS LOCATED ON MY DESKTOP COMPUTER. EXPORTED IT TO A JUMPDRIVE. THEN OPENED YOUR SOFTWARE ON MY LAPTOP. TRIED TO OPEN THE JUMPDRIVE FILE. NO LUCK? THE ERROR SIGN SAID IT COULDN'T FIND THE PROGRAM THAT COULD OPEN IT? Did you double click on the file?  Did you start HealthFrame and use the load from backup feature?  What is the file extension?  Specifically, you do not need to purchase separate licenses for your desktop and for your laptop.

•  09-25-2008, 9:01 PM 1204 in reply to 142

i don't know where this is all going to lead but i am for it.  i have thought for years

that this would be great.  i know it will take a lot of work, but hey.   i think that

we are on a new horizon.  a lot of times i would see a pt. getting treated as if

they were of not consequence but if you dug around  in their medical reacords

it would make you go ahhhh.  retired r.n.

•  09-25-2008, 10:19 PM 1205 in reply to 1204

Hi, Joe!

You're absolutely right that we are 'on a new horizon'.  Clinics and hospitals are beginning to use electronic patient records and patients are becoming more and more aware of the importance of being involved in their own health care.

Using a personal health record like HealthFrame will allow a patient to have and share their clinical information with their doctors and significantly improve the quality of their care.

USBs and other means of electronic exchanges are being facilitated by the use of industry standards like the ones supported by HealthFrame (ASTM CCR).

Thanks for your input and for your feedback as a RN.

Support Team
View as RSS news feed in XML