Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help

Re: Where can I find the user data that I enter

•  10-30-2009, 6:25 PM

Re: Where can I find the user data that I enter

Hi!

You can find the location of HealthFrame databases in this Community Forum posting.

Please note, however, that this is not the recommended way of doing backups with HealthFrame.  Records for Living strongly recommends that you use the built-in backup and restore functionality that is accessible from HealthFrame (see File menu).

Part of the reason is because HealthFrame follows technical conventions set by Microsoft for storing its data and the location of this folder typically changes from operating system to operating system.  Here is a quote from a Microsoft forum post that explains this issue:

Application Data is an environment variable that is programmatically set.  If you open a command prompt and type set, you will then see all of the environment variables that are available to you.

Application Data is represented by the environment variable %appdata%.  In Windows 2K/XP/2003 it pointed to c:\documents and settings\%username%\application data.  In Vista and Windows 7, it now points to c:\users\%username%\appdata\roaming.

If you ever need to refer to the Application Data directory, just type %appdata% in the Run dialog box, the Start menu search box, or at the command prompt.  Also, if you are looking to use it in a batch file or a script, you definitely want to make use of the environment variable.

In particular, with the upgrade to Windows 7, Microsoft is relying on a mechanism known as "Junctions" to redirect programs from the pre-Windows 7 locations to the updated location.  While the Junction mechanism works for programs like HealthFrame, which follow the %appdata% conventions, you cannot treat Junctions as a regular folder.  Direct access to the Junction as a folder will result in access errors.

For this reason, Records for Living strongly encourages our users to rely on the built-in backup and restore mechanisms.

Thank you for using HealthFrame,
    Support Team
View Complete Thread