Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Blackberry/handheld synchronization support

Last post 10-25-2006, 2:28 PM by Records For Living Support. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-25-2006, 2:23 PM 505

Blackberry/handheld synchronization support

Good morning

I will plan to download the demo on my computer at home

I have just purchased a BlackBerry 7290

Might you know if the program can by synched with the Blackberry
    Or any other handheld?

Best regards

•  10-25-2006, 2:28 PM 506 in reply to 505

Re: Blackberry/handheld synchronization support

Good morning!

First, let me point out that HealthFrame 2.1 will be released this coming week and you may be interested in reviewing 2.1 - as opposed to the current 2.0.3 version.  In particular, 2.1 introduces some support that is pertinent to the question you ask about sync'ing to Blackberry devices.

With regards to your question, there are a number of points that need to be clarified:

1. HealthFrame - as an application - can only be run on a fully Windows-compatible system (please note this includes Intel-based Mac systems, so long as recent versions of the operating system have been installed).  The reason to clarify this is to make sure that when you asked about sync'ing the "program" that you understood the sync'ing support is limited to data and not to the application itself.

2. There are a number of different formats that HealthFrame supports (or can be made to support by the use of drivers, etc - please see more below). The choice(s) you make will depend on your needs and constraints.  First, let me explain about the options and then how the format(s) you choose to use will depend on particular usage scenarios.

3. HealthFrame supports two XML-based formats: (i) the native HealthFrame PHR (personal health record) format and (ii) the industry-standard ASTM Continuity of Care Record (CCR).  These formats can be viewed/imported/modified by tools that understand XML and/or either of the two formats listed above.  In the case of CCR, in particular, there is a (growing) number of doctors' EHR (electronic health record) systems that are now capable of understanding CCR - this is also the "format of choice" for certain medical associations, such as the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).

4. As mentioned above, HealthFrame can also produce (by the use of user-installed PDF print drivers) PDF versions of all of our reports.

5. The choice of data format to be used will depend on how you intend to use it.  If you'd like to read the information in a report/summary format, you're probably better off using the PDF reports.  If on the other hand, your doctor has tools that can read CCR, then you probably want to have copies of your CCR records in your Blackberry - so you can upload it to your doctor's system.  With HealthFrame 2.1, we will be releasing free viewer software (HealthFrame Viewer) that we expect will be used by doctors to read both CCR and HealthFrame PHR formats.  If your doctor uses HealthFrame Viewer 2.1, you may instead choose to use the HealthFrame PHR format.  Finally, attachments such as Xrays, images, etc may also be useful to you and/or your doctor and can be sync'ed from HealthFrame to your Blackberry.  The important thing to remember is that you choose what makes most sense for you.

Note that with HealthFrame 2.1, users have the ability of exporting to mobile devices any of their choice of the HealthFrame PHR and/or CCR and/or attachments and/or generated PDF files.  This synchronization support requires the device to be visible/accessible as a hard disk - or by using utilities that can transport files from your hard disk to your Blackberry.  

In the case of the iPod, HealthFrame 2.1 will synchronize your health records with the click of a button - including the generation of iPod Notes - an iPod feature that allows you to view the actual text of your health records (emergency contacts, insurance company, medications, etc), using the 'wheel navigation'.

In the case of PDF, there are viewers that will allow you to see your medical records in your Blackberry. For your convenience, I have attached a PDF version of a HealthFrame sample medical history summary report.

One unique feature of HealthFrame 2.1 is that it supports user-controlled, filtered exports of medical records.  This is particularly important for patients who have specific conditions or portions of their medical history they do not wish to share with all audiences.

Thanks for your interest in HealthFrame and please let us know of your impressions, suggestions, ideas for improvement.

Support Team

View as RSS news feed in XML