Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Emergency Card suggestions

Last post 03-25-2018, 8:31 PM by Mindsurfer. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-25-2018, 8:31 PM 1931

Emergency Card suggestions

I realize that the Emergency Card, by definition, can't include everything; still,  I would like to suggest a couple of items for consideration.

Devices. ED staff, and personnel supporting the ED (anesthesiology, radiology, etc.) may not need to know about every device and appliance one has, but they do need to know you have a pacemaker or ICD, artificial joints and other metal implants, dentures and dental implants. Preferably, they should know this before they let the pacemaker get close enough to an industrial magnet to cause it to shut down, and before they intubate for surgery. As with the other information already on the card, I think Devices should be filterable information included on the Emergency Card, for situations when you can't speak for yourself.

Other Urgent Information. The Emergency Card currently provides for freeform text to be appended to the end of the report. I think there needs to be a way to include information that needs to be at the top. Information that should be explicit rather than deduced from other information on the card. If one is on dialysis, care providers need to know what kind of access you have and which arm not to use for taking blood pressure and for IV's. If you have a pacemaker or ICD implanted, care providers need to know that, especially if Devices aren't included on the card (subcutaneous ICD's are not as obvious as the outline of an ICD just below the collarbone). I'm sure there are other pieces of information that one might want care providers to know, ideally before they render treatment.

The Emergency Card is already useful, as is. Correcting the truncation problem drix pointed out in the "Larger Emergency Card" thread, adding Devices, and other critical information at the top of the front of the card would make it better than any other Emergency Card out there.

- Tom
    Idea <i>You have the power to give life.
View as RSS news feed in XML