Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Sorting Names of Physicians

Last post 10-13-2009, 8:42 PM by Records For Living Support. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-26-2007, 10:44 AM 625

Sorting Names of Physicians

Hello and thank you so very much for all the quick responses I have received to my questions. 

I cannot seem to sort Individual Healthcare Providers by name. I have no problem sorting Organizations by name, but Individual Healthcare Providers is another story. Is this a bug?  I have HealthFrame 2.1.6.

Many thanks!

•  02-27-2007, 10:26 AM 633 in reply to 625

Re: Sorting Names of Physicians

You are welcome!  We try to get back to our users as quickly as we can.  We're glad to hear you're happy with our service.

HealthFrame 2.1.6 supports sorting by two separate criteria: active or name.  I believe by default the 'Active' option is the one selected, in which case the sort order depends on whether the individual healthcare provider is active or not (active providers would be listed ahead of inactive providers in 'ascending' order, for instance). 

Please be sure to check the Sort By > Name menu item in the customization section (as shown in the picture below) and then try to sort by name (either ascending or descending - by last name).

We hope this helps,

Support Team

•  04-02-2007, 9:38 PM 644 in reply to 633

So, are you saying the sort is done by the "last" name as it is input?  Or is it done by the "first" name? For example, if I input the following, how, exactly should the sort appear in descending order?

Dr. Joe Martin

Adams - John  MD

Smith David

Mary Cole

Zoe Chris

I have been inputting the names as "Last Name - First Name" to make it easer for me to spot who I am looking for.  This seems to have messed up the sort feature in the program, is this right?

Many thanks for your assistance.

•  04-04-2007, 6:06 PM 658 in reply to 644

Attachment: ProviderName.PNG

Sorting is done by last name.  Please note that even though HealthFrame lets you enter the provider name as you wish (first name first or last name first) it internally tries to assign the 'name parts'.  Please see picture below and note what happens when I expand the name section, by clicking on the double down arrow.

So, if you enter Adams - John MD, HealthFrame thinks that the first name is Adams; the middle name(s) are - John and the last name is MD.

So the ascending sort order for the names you provided above would be:

Zoe Chris

Mary Cole

Smith David

Dr. Joe Martin

Adams - John  MD

It may be better if you were to consider entering provider names in the "first name, middle name(s), last name" order.  Then HealthFrame will interprete the name parts appropriately (you can check and modify if you ever feel it failed to interprete correctly) and alphabetical sorting should work.

Thanks,
    Support Team

•  04-09-2007, 5:34 PM 661 in reply to 658

Another subject for two cents worth.

In the >Home>Providers>Individuals list Provider names are shown first name-Last name. Many of us really aren't on a 'first name' basis with our doctors, so seeing the list with last name first would be much easier to use, especially since the list is in alphabetical order by last name anyway. Same idea hopefully would extend to “Contacts” in the >Home>Encounters>Visits and other lists. I found that entering the last name in first name space does not accomplish the same thing due to the sorting by the ‘Last Name’.

My suggestion is to make listing 'Last Name First' an option for each Provider, not an overall list customization, so the present layout can be maintained for those that prefer it. Making the choice an option will permit seeing "Providers" like 'Billing Dept' or “records dept” for an Organization(like the hospital) in the correct alpha order.

Here’s where this suggestion is somewhat predicated on how HealthFrame is being used to accomplish something that may be done easier another way or just isn’t currently available. More than one telephone number for an ‘Organization’ is frequently needed. Under Organizations>Contact Information one can only identify ‘Work, Home, Mobile, Pager and Fax’ phone numbers. For an individual Provider those are OK. So to identify the Billing Dept I added that to the ‘Member Providers’ list with the Role name the same as the Provider name. In this instance Last Name First would not be chosen for the option proposed. Not clean, but I couldn’t find another way to have these department phone numbers within the Organization show up on the Organization list correctly. Possibly another consideration for de-linking the individuals from the organizations as discussed in another post.

robert
  •  04-09-2007, 10:51 PM 671 in reply to 661

Another subject for two cents worth.

In the >Home>Providers>Individuals list Provider names are shown first name-Last name. Many of us really aren't on a 'first name' basis with our doctors, so seeing the list with last name first would be much easier to use, especially since the list is in alphabetical order by last name anyway. Same idea hopefully would extend to “Contacts” in the >Home>Encounters>Visits and other lists. I found that entering the last name in first name space does not accomplish the same thing due to the sorting by the ‘Last Name’.

That is exactly what I was trying to accomplish since there is only one "field" displayed for First Name and Last Name. While the input screen makes it easier to input the First Name, Last Name, etc., it does nothing for the sorted list display "issue" of easily scanning the provider list and finding the provider you are searching for.

My suggestion is to make listing 'Last Name First' an option for each Provider, not an overall list customization, so the present layout can be maintained for those that prefer it. Making the choice an option will permit seeing "Providers" like 'Billing Dept' or “records dept” for an Organization(like the hospital) in the correct alpha order.

Here’s where this suggestion is somewhat predicated on how HealthFrame is being used to accomplish something that may be done easier another way or just isn’t currently available. More than one telephone number for an ‘Organization’ is frequently needed. Under Organizations>Contact Information one can only identify ‘Work, Home, Mobile, Pager and Fax’ phone numbers. For an individual Provider those are OK.

So to identify the Billing Dept I added that to the ‘Member Providers’ list with the Role name the same as the Provider name. In this instance Last Name First would not be chosen for the option proposed. Not clean, but I couldn’t find another way to have these department phone numbers within the Organization show up on the Organization list correctly. Possibly another consideration for de-linking the individuals from the organizations as discussed in another post.

I'm not sure I get how the de-linking the individuals from the organizations would help in this area. In your example, if you de-linked the provider, "Billing Dept", from the Organization, how would you know what organizaiton "Billing Dept" belongs to?  Unless I am misunderstanding your suggestion, I am thinking the link between the individual and organization providers is not only handly, but essential for maintaining the database. . .especially when you have complex medical problems with many doctors and facilities.  JMHO

•  04-25-2007, 4:09 PM 694 in reply to 671

>>I'm not sure I get how the de-linking the individuals from the organizations would help in this area.<<

Esther625 you are right. ‘De-linking’ was inappropriately used.  I should have explained a little further. Seeing the Organization name in the Communications list, the Visits list, in the Provider / Individual list and many reports provides less informational value than other data in those categories. Many times I just need to view the list to find something, but with the Organization name taking up space it necessitates going into the record. When HealthFrame provides the means to customize the headings in said lists I’ll be able to do just so.

robert
  •  10-13-2009, 4:56 PM 1498 in reply to 658

I entered physicians's names as follows so that the list of providers is now in alphabetical order by Last Name (e.g.Robert M Smith MD): Leave Prefix blank, enter First Name (Robert), enter Middle Name (M) , enter Last Name with MD or DO, etc. (Smith MD). If Robert M Smith MD is Robert M Smith Jr MD, enter Last Name as Smith Jr MD. Leave Suffix blank.
    This only took me hours to figure out!
  •  10-13-2009, 8:42 PM 1499 in reply to 1498

Attachment: SortByName.PNG
    Hi, Walter!

We're sorry to hear that you took a while working around some issue with sorting of provider names.  Unfortunately, we were unable to reproduce any problem relating to the use of suffixes and we're wondering if there is something unusual going on with your installation.

HealthFrame relies on the customization menu to properly sort individual providers' names.  Is this what you were using?  The image below illustrates how HealthFrame properly sorts providers (last) names, even in the presence of suffixes.

Please let us know if we missed something!

Thanks for using HealthFrame,
    Support Team

View as RSS news feed in XML