Many HealthFrame users have asked us how to proceed with their upgrades to Windows 7. This should be a simple effort if you're upgrading the same computer to a new operating system, but may require a little more preparation if you are switching to a new computer.
No matter what the case may be, you should always start by making a backup
of your personal health records:
- Go to the computer that is currently running HealthFrame and create a new backup file (File/Save
PHR Backup...) for each of the personal health records you are tracking
in your computer. Store these backup files in a location that you will
- Copy the backup file(s) to a removable drive like a
USB drive or a CD. (You could have done this directly in step 1, but
it is never a bad idea to have multiple backups...)
Some of our users have been using third-party backup programs and there is some confusion about how to restore those types of backup, in particular, since Microsoft typically changes the default location of data files, making it harder for users to restore data files across different operating systems. Records for Living recommends the use of the built-in backup functionality as described above.
If you're upgrading your existing computer, the backup is pretty much all you should need to do. Follow Microsoft's instructions for the upgrade (without hard disk format) and you should be all set. If, on the other hand, you either format your hard disk or switch to a new computer
, please follow these additional instructions:
in your current computer, go to the Help/About HealthFrame... menu and a
dialog box will appear. Your license key number will be displayed on
the screen, please copy that information.
- On your new computer, download and install HealthFrame Explorer.
- Attach the removable device (USB or CD) with the HealthFrame backup files in them, to the new computer.
- Restore each of the backed up PHRs (File/Restore PHR backup...)
- Finally, go to Options/Enter License Key... and enter the license key information you copied down on step # 3. If you ever lose your license code, please note that you can automatically retrieve it from our website - http://www.recordsforliving.com/HealthFrame/ForgotLicenseCodes.aspx - by using the email you used to purchase HealthFrame.
This should be it! Please let us know if you require additional assistance.